YVETTE R. HARRIS, PhD, an associate professor of psychology at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio, received her doctorate in psychology from the University of Florida with a specialization in cognitive development. Her scholarly work for the past 25 years has focused on exploring the environmental contributions to preschool and school age cognitive development, examining the learning/teaching patterns of African American mothers transitioning from welfare to work, and exploring family and personal predictors of math performance in African American school age children.
More recently, her work has taken on an applied emphasis and examines family stabilization as mothers’ re-enter from prison and she has co-authored an edited book Children of Incarcerated Parents: Developmental and Theoretical Issues. Her work has appeared in a variety of national and internal journals including European Journal of Developmental Psychology, Journal of Black Psychology Journal of Early Childhood Research, Developmental Psychology, and the Journal of Genetic Psychology, she has presented her work at both national and international conferences, and appeared on NPR, blackamericaweb.com and Sunday Mornings with Rodney Lear.
Her work has been funded by the National Science Foundation, Proctor and Gamble, Miami University, and the Harvard/ Radcliffe Murray Research Center. She currently serves as coordinator of the Brain and Cognitive area at Miami University, and is a consulting editor for Early Childhood Research Quarterly.
Listen to Yvette discuss child development on National Public Radio in the US:
Community Outreach Projects in Yvette’s Lab Include:
- Camp Determination is a summer camp for children with parents in the criminal justice system. The first camp was held in summer 2009.
Supporting Parental Reentry
- Harris Y. R., Asher, S., Douhit A., Kurtkoti, A., Matteson, D., Whitaker, J., & Wiggins, E. (December 2013) Going Home: Making Your Transition Back to Parenting. Manual for Parents Leaving River City Detention Center
- Harris, Y. R (September, 2012). Working on Your Parenting Skills. Manual for attendees of the Urban League’s REXXO Program.
- Harris, Y. R. (June 2009). Camp Determination. Manual for Counselors and Parents of children attending Camp Determination.
Workshops and conferences on ways to Work with Children with Parents in the Criminal Justice System:
- The most recent conference was held September 13, 2013 at Voice of America in West Chester Ohio. Mrs. Sharon Content Founder and CEO of Children of Promise and Mrs. Anna Morgan-Mullane were our speakers for the event. The conference focused specifically on Understanding the Unmet Mental Health Needs of Children with Parents in the Criminal Justice System.
Ce poste est aussi disponible en: Français